The following letter was sent to us with permission to share it.
Bill C-218 will go to a vote on October 7. Call your Member of Parliament today (Read).
I suffered from major depressive disorder, OCD, PTSD (albeit undiagnosed until my early twenties) since I was about 14. During those years, I frequently engaged in acts of self-harm. Though I didn’t have the words to explain it at the time, it is very clear to me now why I hurt myself as a child.
I was so scared of dying. I thought about it all of the time; it was the only way to escape the pain of the reality I was living in. In some very strange way, seeing my body heal from an injury told me: I am healing; something inside of me is working to care for my body.
By the time I was 20, I truly felt suicidal ideation was going to be a lifelong battle. Every day was agony. I knew I needed critical care when I was speaking to a friend; I heard myself audibly share a thought pattern that had become so normal for me: “Every time I enter a room, the first thing my brain does is figure out how I could kill myself in that room. It's like a safety blanket that I have an escape route.”
I am incredibly grateful for the support of my parents, therapists, and doctors who supported me during this time to find the care I needed to reclaim my life. At the age of 21, after years of trying everything else, I decided to try medication.
It saved my life.
Of course, there were still speed bumps and moments that, at the time, felt they would be never-ending. Times where there was no light at the end of the tunnel. But then there was a new day.
I never attempted suicide because of my family.
I never attempted suicide because I was scared.
I never attempted suicide because when I went to my doctor to share the battle I had been facing for 7 years, she didn’t tell me I had an option to assisted suicide. In all the conversations we had, all of the time we spent looking for solutions, MAiD was never one of them.
I write this to implore you; please, stand up for our children.
There is always a light.
Every morning I wake up, I see my beautiful children. How the morning light covers them, with their sleepy eyes. I hear the sounds of the world around me. I have my coffee. I am so grateful for this life. However mundane or extraordinary, I am so grateful I made it.
Please help to fight the good fight. Vote to pass Bill C-218.
Sincerely,
Carling Rygielski

6 comments:
Thank you, dear Carling, for sharing. I emailed my MP to vote for Bill C218 tomorrow and urged friends to do the same.
Beautiful testimony. Wow. Very strong.
I, also, am so glad you made it, Carling. Thank you for sharing your story. Sending you hugs across the waves, from the Land Down Under.
I, also, am so glad you made it, Carling. Thank you for sharing your story. Sending you hugs across the waves, from the Land Down Under.
A beautiful story of hope. Thank you for sharing and being an encourager.
Congratulations on winning your struggle. I too suffered from depression and was never offered Maid and thank God cause there was a time after I lost my spouse I might have took it! I sstill miss him every day but I am living today to honor his life! Maid is not the solution for mental help a good doctor is!!
Post a Comment