Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Anorexia is not a terminal condition.

The following letter was sent to EPC from a woman in Honduras who was responding to a previous article concerning people with Anorexia dying by assisted suicide based on Anorexia being falsely defined as a terminal illness.

I couldn't sleep. I was really skinny in 2004.

I was daddy's little girl whom I lived with when he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I suffered anorexia since 2004 without knowing that when dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer, I almost died. I couldn't work. I didn't eat. I tried and tried, but mom and I were focused on my father's illness.

My dad passed away on September 3rd, 2007, and I was really skinny, I didn't want to eat not exactly (that I didn't want to eat, I wasn't able to eat and got seriously depressed).

Fortunately, a Medical Doctor, an Internist of Tegucigalpa capital city of my hometown, Honduras Central America where I live, learned of my problem of Anorexia. What would I do without him and the Psychiatric treatment from another doctor, again and again what would I do without him?

Both helped me out when I suffered Anorexia and I can't thank them enough for the way they treated me with ethics and humanity. I will always be grateful for them. 

Now I work with elderly people and feel really happy with my job position and I am totally recovered of Anorexia. Thanks be to God and the physicians mentioned above!

Sincerely,

Eunice Lozano Oqueli from my hometown, Honduras Central America.

More information on this topic:

  • ANAD clarifies that Anorexia Nervosa is not a terminal condition (Link)
  • When I was Anorexic I would have chosen assisted suicide (Link).
  • Psychiatrist: Anorexia does not justify Aid in Dying (Link).

No comments: