Wednesday, October 9, 2024

When Food and Water Withdrawal is Recommended to Hasten Death

This article was published on Nancy Valko's blog on October 9, 2024

Nancy Valko
By Nancy Valko

Recently, I was contacted by a man who was concerned about hospice care for his mother.

He wrote:

“I spoke to one hospice service that was recommended and asked about AHN (artificial hydration and nutrition) and I was basically told that if my mother became unconscious, they would not attempt to provide AHN. My mother has dementia and we’ve had a few scares where we were unsure she would recover. I’d like to understand what guideline I should expect the hospice to follow and whether hospice is even worth considering. Are there prescriptive standards of care that I can reference or could you tell me basically what routine care look like?”
I wrote back that I understood his concerns, especially since I recently lost a brother with dementia, diabetes and Crohn’s disease after a second fall down stairs. He had trouble eating so the doctors recommended a feeding tube.

Unfortunately, a person from palliative care told my sister-in-law that he would not improve so she decided to refuse a feeding tube.

I told her that newer feeding tubes were more comfortable, could make him feel better and were worth a try but she rejected this. She said my brother told her he would not want to live if he developed dementia - like our mother.

It took 4 long days for him to die.

I also told him that I have been writing about this problem for years, including my 2018 blog article “‘Living Wills’ to Prevent Spoon Feeding at: (Link).

I have seen the deterioration of medical ethics over 50 years as a nurse from requiring life-sustaining treatment unless it was medically futile or excessively burdensome to whatever is legal.

I would recommend to you two resources from the Healthcare Advocacy and Leadership Organization (HALO):

1. “The Food and Water Dilemma” at: (Link).

2. “Making a Difference: A Guide for Defending the Medically Vulnerable” at: (Link).

Conclusion

I have worked in hospice, critical care, etc. for decades and I was glad to be able to care for my patients, my mother and others so that they had dignity, comfort and emotional support at the end of life. I hope these resources from HALO can help bring vital information, peace and comfort to others and their families.

Nancy Valko was a hospice and critical care nurse for many years.

No comments: