Thursday, October 20, 2016

California Assisted suicide law prompts insurance company to deny coverage to terminally ill woman

Stephanie Packer
Alex Schadenberg
Executive Director - Euthanasia Prevention Coalition

The Washington Times reported that the California Assisted-suicide law prompted an insurance company to deny coverage to a terminally ill California woman.


Insurers use assisted suicide law to deny treatment for terminally ill patients.

Bradford Richardson, from the Washington Times reported that Stephanie Packer, a wife and mother of four who was diagnosed with a terminal form of scleroderma, said that her insurance company initially indicated it would pay for her to switch her chemotherapy drug based on the recommendation of her doctors but shortly after the California assisted suicide law went into effect, her insurance company denied her treatment.
Richardson reported Packer as saying:
“And when the law was passed, it was a week later I received a letter in the mail saying they were going to deny coverage for the chemotherapy that we were asking for,” 
She said she called her insurance company to find out why her coverage had been denied. On the call, she also asked whether suicide pills were covered under her plan. 
“And she says, ‘Yes, we do provide that to our patients, and you would only have to pay $1.20 for the medication,’”Mrs. Packer said.
Stephanie Packer believes that legalizing assisted suicide creates an incentive for insurance companies to deny terminally ill people coverage. Packer stated:
“As soon as this law was passed — and you see it everywhere, when these laws are passed — patients fighting for a longer life end up getting denied treatment, because this will always be the cheapest option,” 
Attitude have also changed in her support group:
After the right-to-die movement began garnering national attention, Mrs. Packer said she noticed a change in tone at her support groups for terminally ill patients. While the meetings were formerly positive and encouraging, she said the specter of suicide now hangs above them like a dark cloud. 
“And people, once they became depressed, it became negative, and it started consuming people,” she said in the video. “And then they said, ‘You know what? I wish I could just end it.’ “
Stephanie Parker is not the first person to be denied chemotherapy but offered assisted suicide. Several years ago Barbara Wagner and Randy Stroup, in Oregon, were denied medical treatment but offered assisted suicide.

4 comments:

Ruth Oliver said...

3 of 16
What Jesus says of this law:


Re: ABSTRACT: given 4th June, 1998. I am He, your Jesus of Merciful Love, the One who holds the Key to Life and Death. As I look upon My beloved Humanity, I see death and destruction all about.,Some think they are doing good, but they do evil; some are just doing evil. Children, as atheism is seemingly controlling the scientific world, many things are occurring which are not pleasing to the Lord your God. Much is anathema and My blessing is not upon much which is ocurring now. Many pray for My Kingdom to come upon the Earth now and a period of peace will indeed come shortly. In the interim, there must be a period of cleansing, of purification, of returning to Truth. I the Lord your God, Am Truth! Invoke the Holy Spirit, and open Scripture. Many indeed know the New Testament. In the Old Testament there is much that is pleasing, and much that is unclean in the eyes of the Lord your God. As I cast My eyes on My beloved Humanity, I behold many who are trying to be gods.

I hold the keys of Life and Death. There is a time to be born and a time to die. You play with these very facts of life. You are playing with the very existence of the souls of those you work with, and your own souls!

I Myself gift many individuals all over the Earth with healing hands. Many whom you designate as incurable, are cured at the hands of My little faithful ones. My Love is no secret; it is for all mankind. It is I who gift each with the needed intellect according to My Will; yet I bid thee pray the Father of Merciful Love, the Our Father, before you interact with other humans in these solemn matters of Life and Death.

I address you Faithful Missionary in the medical world , and with other of My instruments, I address those whose lifestyles are no longer of Me; who live perilously on the precipice of hell which really exists. At this time I enlighten you, Faithful Missionary, a medical professional, that you might be My instrument, to the other medical professionals. I am asking you to light one candle in the darkness, and leave the rest up to Me; in the power of the Holy Spirit I light up all the darkness !



for the whole Mission for all doctors. Share with all colleagues as you will. see website www epistleoflove.org Read the Discernment prayers.

Maureen said...

This is intolerable....I hope it can be fought against legally....

Anonymous said...

We knew this was coming and should not be surprised. Most of these companies worship the dollar as their god. I'd like to know where the "compassion" is in Stephanie's case.

We have to keep protesting and writing to our government leaders and pressure them to reverse this law and destroy this abomination. It is not compassionate or merciful or good in any way.

J. Robinson

gadfly said...

I thought this was supposed to be about 'free choice?' I guess we forgot to ask who was doing the choosing...

You don't think the pro-euts knew this would happen, do you?