Friday, April 15, 2016

Liberal MP, Robert-Falcon Ouellette questions euthanasia.

Alex Schadenberg
Executive Director - Euthanasia Prevention Coalition


Robert-Falcon Ouellette MP Winnipeg Centre
CBC News, Kristy Hoffman, reported that Robert-Falcon Ouellette, the Liberal MP from Winnipeg Centre, is questioning whether to support Bill C-14, the bill that would legalize euthanasia and assisted suicide. Ouellette told CBC news:

"Once we make a decision on this, there will be no going back,"
Ouellette continued:
"I'm concerned that we haven't thought out the complete ramifications that a decision like this might have on indigenous communities that seem to be suffering greatly," 
"This will be a right that will become entrenched and the impacts on vulnerable groups will become entrenched and it's very hard to stop."
Ouellette has not decided how he will vote on Bill C-14. He said:
"When I go to my Sun Dance ceremonies, when I go to meet with the elders and we are in our lodges, I have my Sun Dance Chief, David Blacksmith, who said, 'We must fight the spirit of suicide. We must work each and every day to defeat it.' That, to me, is important." 
Studying different people who could access doctor-assisted dying is the next step. 
"I don't think we've consulted with everyone and the impacts this might have."
Help Ouellette with his consultation by sending letters to:
Robert-Falcon Ouellette MP 
House of Commons
Ottawa ON  K1A 0A6

No comments: