Friday, June 4, 2010

Persuaded to live with dignity

Jeanette Hall tells the real story of being a person in Oregon who qualified for assisted suicide but was persuaded by her physician to accept extensive treatment and who not only survived but is now thoroughly enjoying life and happy to be alive.

Society needs to ensure that all of its citizens can Live with Dignity rather than being directly and intentionally encouraged, counselled and aided to death.

The Montreal Gazette June 2, 2010

Re: "Euthanasia hearings to hit the road" (Gazette, May 26).

I'm a retired bookkeeper, who lives in Oregon, where assisted suicide is legal. Our law was enacted via a ballot initiative, for which I voted.

In 2000, I was diagnosed with colon cancer and told that I had six months to a year to live. I knew that our law had passed, but I didn't know exactly how to go about doing it. I asked one of my doctors, but he didn't really answer me.

Instead, he encouraged me not to give up and ultimately I decided to fight. I had both chemotherapy and radiation, and I am truly happy to be alive! That was 10 years ago, and if my doctors had believed in assisted suicide, I would be dead. I thank each of them for helping me choose "life with dignity."

Jeanette Hall
King City, Oregon

Link to the comment at: http://www.montrealgazette.com/opinion/letters/Persuaded+live+with+dignity/3100355/story.html

No comments: