Thursday, March 7, 2024

Slovenian government announces referendum on euthanasia.

Alex Schadenberg
Executive Director, Euthanasia Prevention Coalition

Picture from Slovenian interview
I recently travelled to Slovenia to talk about Canada's experience with euthanasia. As I reported in July 2023, Slovenia has been debating a bill to legalize euthanasia and assisted suicide. When I closely examined the bill, it was clear that Slovenia was debating a Canadian style euthanasia bill.

In late January 2024, I had the opportunity to speak with Slovenian politicians, several media outlets, television news, interview shows and to a large audience in Ljubljana, Slovenia's capital, where I felt that my message had caused a stir.

Today I was informed by the leader of the groups that are opposing euthanasia, that the Slovenian government defeated the euthanasia bill. I also learned that the Slovenian government announced that intend to have a referendum on the "basic question" of euthanasia rather than the bill that they have been debating.

The groups who oppose euthanasia have not seen the language of the referendum but they are organizing to win.

3 comments:

Hong Kong Books said...

That is good Alex you have influenced them away from that dreaded word Bill to the more vague Referendum which can drag on for years...hah.

Anonymous said...

I’m not sure that a referendum is less bad than a bill. It depends on where the bureaucrats in the Slovakian government stand on the issue. If the voters approve euthanasia in concept with the referendum, the government might simply steam roll a bill through the legislature very quickly. Very concerning.

Anonymous said...

Slovenian - not Slovakian :)