By Paul Russell, HOPE
Exit International’s latest newsletter (Sept – Nov), devotes nearly four of the twelve-pages to attacking yours truly (Paul Rusell), HOPE, Alex Schadenberg from the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition, and a list of supposed accomplices. Why did we get all this attention? Because we dared to lodge a complaint with the medical licensing organisation about the actions of Exit International and Philip Nitschke in their agency and promotion of a nitrogen death method.
Two years on.
This attack comes as we mark the second anniversary of the creation of HOPE in 2010. It is, perhaps, fitting in as much as it is recognition that we are making a very real and tangible difference!
- Over this last year HOPE has appeared in various media on 47 occasions including radio, TV, newspapers, online journals, magazines etc. both at home, in New Zealand and across the globe.
- We have made new friends and allies in New Zealand and Tasmania, building together a formidable coalition to oppose the bills mooted in both places.
- We’ve seen off two threatening bills in South Australia.
- Since July, the new blog has recorded 84 posts of both local and international news which is viewed daily by readers across Australia and the world.
- We have surveyed candidates at both the Queensland and ACT Elections and will continue this program in the years ahead.
- Internationally, we continue to build on our successes and to forge new alliances and we’re now looking forward to a renewed push back in Europe.
- We’re also about to launch a new ‘push back’ initiative in Australia called ‘The declaration of HOPE’ (more details shortly).