Monday, July 30, 2012

Don't make Oregon's Mistake: Assisted suicide should not be legal.

The following letter was written by Jeanette Hall from Oregon and printed in the Ottawa Citizen on July 24 2012 in response to the following article: Does the renewed debate on doctor-assisted suicide say anything about the sanctity of life in modern times? July 21.
I live in Oregon where assisted suicide is legal. In 2000, I was diagnosed with cancer and told I had six months to a year to live. I knew that our law had passed. Indeed, I had voted for it. But I didn't know exactly how to go about doing it. I tried to ask my doctor, but he didn't really answer me. In hindsight, I can see that he was stalling me. 
On my third visit, he asked me how my son would feel if I went forward with my plan. I didn't know what to say. I agreed to be treated. I had both chemotherapy and radiation. I am so happy to be alive. 
It is now 12 years later. If my doctor had believed in assisted suicide, I would be dead. I thank him and all my doctors for helping me choose "life with dignity." Assisted suicide should not be legal. Don't make Oregon's mistake. 
Jeanette Hall, King City, Oregon

No comments: