PROTEST DISABILITY SNUFF FILM ME BEFORE YOU!
WHEN: JUNE 3, 2016, 0NE HOUR BEFORE A SHOWING OF ME BEFORE YOU
WHERE: YOUR LOCAL MOVIE THEATER, MANY CITIES, USA & WORLDWIDE
WHAT: PEACEFULLY DISTRIBUTE A LEAFLET (TO BE POSTED ON NDY WEBSITE)
WHY: TO OPPOSE ABLEISM & THE FILM’S MESSAGE THAT DISABLED PEOPLE ARE
BETTER OFF DEAD (AND OTHERS ARE BETTER OFF WITHOUT US)
“Me Before You” is the latest Hollywood blockbuster to grossly misrepresent the lived experience of the majority of disabled people. In the film, a young man becomes disabled, falls in love with his ‘carer’ and they have an incredible 6 months together. Despite her opposition, however, our hero does the “honorable” thing by killing himself at the Swiss assisted suicide clinic Dignitas – so she can move on and he is no longer a burden to her. Based on the best-selling novel of the same name, “Me Before You” is little more than a disability snuff film, giving audiences the message that if you’re a disabled person, you’re better off dead.
WAYS YOU CAN PROTEST:
- Two or more people can peacefully hand out a leaflet that will be posted on the Not Dead Yet website at notdeadyet.org.
- Send a press release or use NDY’s release (coming soon) to send to your local media.
- Join the worldwide social media Thunderclap.
- Twitter using #MeBeforeYou #LiveBoldly #MeBeforeEuthanasia #MeBeforeAbleism
- Share the articles linked below with friends and colleagues.
- Spare me, “Me Before You”: Hollywood’s new tearjerker is built on tired and damaging disability stereotypes
- Why Some Disability Rights Activists Are Protesting ‘Me Before You”
- People Are Annoyed About How “Me Before You” Represents Disability
- HOLLYWOOD PROMOTES THE IDEA IT IS BETTER TO BE DEAD THAN DISABLED
- Why Are You Complaining? Some People Actually Feel That Way: A Critique of Me Before You