The family of a Manitoba boy left brain damaged a few days after having his tonsils removed at a Winnipeg hospital is suing the Winnipeg Regional Heath Authority.
The family of Dylan Campbell, now 12, has filed a statement of claim on the boy's behalf against the WRHA and several employees of the Health Sciences Centre.
The family is suing for undisclosed financial compensation and the costs of future medical care for the boy, who has been in a "persistent vegetative state" since December, according to court documents.
Campbell had the routine tonsillectomy in November 2009 and was released. Five days later, his mother rushed him back to hospital after he started coughing up blood.
He suffered a heart attack, leading to "irreversible" brain damage and his current condition, according to court documents.
Waited in ER for too long:
Dylan has been on life support since then, dependent on caregivers. He is now living at St. Amant Centre, a long-term-care facility in Winnipeg.
The family is alleging negligence led to his condition, claiming the amount of time Dylan waited in the emergency room to be readmitted was a factor.
There was an "inordinate and unacceptable" delay before he was triaged and treated upon his return, according to the lawsuit.
The WRHA declined to comment when contacted Tuesday.
The allegations contained in the statement of claim have not been proven in court and no trial date has been set.
The WRHA has not yet filed a statement of defence.
Lawyer Bob Tapper said Dylan's family is devastated by the boy's condition.
"I mean, it's a tragic case, a despicably tragic case," he said.
"How often do you see a 12-year-old boy go for something so innocuous as a tonsillectomy … and end up in a persistent vegetative state. I mean, it's awful," he said.
We hope that the Health Authorities and Dylan's family will continue to care for Dylan, inspite of his devastating condition.